Please read all sections of this page before you begin the application process!
Students apply for the WAVE Fellows Program by submitting an online application. Applicants must also request three letters of recommendation from faculty in relevant disciplines or former research mentors. Students must also upload an unofficial transcript.
Applications will be evaluated by Caltech faculty, which will select prospective fellows from the applicant pool. Selected students will be matched with a mentor. Fellowships will be offered when the match has been confirmed.
Students awarded a WAVE Fellowship will be required to submit a project plan after consultation and collaboration with the mentor. The submission of the project plan and fellowship forms by the deadlines will constitute acceptance of the award.
All application documents will be submitted directly to the SFP Online system. Applications are due on or before January 12. The application includes:
- An online application
- Three letters of recommendation from faculty (at least two in the relevant discipline)
- The applicant’s unofficial transcript.
Recommendation requests are completed online with the application form. The online application will request recommender contact information from the student. The recommender will then be emailed directly and asked to submit his or her recommendation into the online system. Students are required to submit three letters of recommendation. At least two must be from faculty members in the relevant fields. Recommendations are also due on January 12th so submit your recommender information well in advance.
Students are required to submit an unofficial transcript through the online application form.
Applications are evaluated on the following criteria:
- Student has sufficient academic preparation to undertake a research project at Caltech/JPL
- Student’s prior research experience
- Application provides a clear description of the student’s research interests, what the student has done to foster his/her interests, and student’s academic and career goals
- References are supportive
- Student’s research interests are aligned with those of a mentor at Caltech or JPL
- Student is interested in pursuing a Ph.D.
Notification of awards will be sent on a rolling basis in early March. Students will receive e-mail notification of the outcome of their applications.
2020 applications will be available November 1.